With fingernails that shine like justice...

and a voice that is dark like tinted glass, she is fast, thorough and sharp as a tack. She is touring the facility and picking up slack...

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Watergate hits home

It was the summer of '74....I was 7 years old....

Amanda, the calico cat, gave birth to a litter of 8 kittens.

My sister, because it was her cat, got to name them.
There were 6 boys and 2 girls.

My sister was an early activist, so she gave them all politically charged names...

  1. Ehrlichman
  2. Haldeman
  3. Spiro
  4. J.D.(John Dean)
  5. Liddy
  6. Baker
  7. Martha(Mitchell)...AND
  8. Dita(Beard)

I had all but forgotten about the kitten's names until it was brought up in conversation, as Deep Throat's identity has come to light.

Dita was my favorite. She was black with a nose and paws that were white, as though splashed with milk.

My sister begrudgingly gave up the litter 8 weeks later, making those that took the kittens promise to keep their names.

I wonder if they did.