With fingernails that shine like justice...

and a voice that is dark like tinted glass, she is fast, thorough and sharp as a tack. She is touring the facility and picking up slack...

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Rock Camp Blues

I am sad to report that Blaine did not get accepted to Rock Camp this year.

I thought she would be devastated when she received the ominously thin envelope, instead of the huge acceptance packet, filled with forms, releases, and information, that we usually get.

But Blaine handled it with composure, grace, and maturity...I however, shed a few tears.

Those tears were dried quickly, though. Blaine comforted me...

"Its okay, Mom. Now another 8 year old will get a chance to know what its like to be cool. I already know I'm cool. Its no big deal. Maybe I'll try again next year... Can I try drama camp this summer?"

The greatest thing Blaine has learned at Camp is how to treat other girls. Sure its Rock Camp..but its really so much more. I will never be able to express my gratitude enough to the staff and volunteers there. My daughter was given a gift that she now wants to share with another girl...the experience of joy and the freedom of expression that Rock Camp fosters.

Blaine truly does ROCK.


*sidenote
Blaine's band, The Bookworms, has had over 4,400 playsof their song "The Is Becoming A Wasteland" on the Girls Rock! Myspace .
How. Fucking. Cool.