With fingernails that shine like justice...

and a voice that is dark like tinted glass, she is fast, thorough and sharp as a tack. She is touring the facility and picking up slack...

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Forget it

I've decide to make a post out of a comment I left on tj's blog. I know its kinda cheating...but, my blog, my rules.

In the days before car seats or laws requiring seatbelts, my parents would load me up in the back of our station wagon in my umbrella stoller. In their minds I was secure, buckled in the stroller and housed between the tailgate and the back seat.

One day, after loading me and some groceries in the back of the wagon, my Mom got distracted and somehow made it to the driver's seat without closing the tailgate. We made it through the parking lot without incident. But as soon as Mom tried to turn into traffic, giving the wagon some gas, I was pulled by gravity out of the open tailgate along with the week's groceries. Mom drove on for two blocks before noticing me missing in her rearview. I was unharmed and gathered up by passing motorists.


She is still brought to tears whenever she retells the story, and apologizes to me, like I remember the incident.

You'd think I'd learn from her mistake....but no.
I once forgot about Blaine. That I even had her. I came home from work, poured a glass of wine and watched TV, enjoying an almost eerie calm. Then the phone rang. It was 6:15, and her daycare closed at 6...they wanted to know if I was on my way. I lied and said I was having car trouble, but would be there shortly....talk about feeling like a shit.