With fingernails that shine like justice...

and a voice that is dark like tinted glass, she is fast, thorough and sharp as a tack. She is touring the facility and picking up slack...

Sunday, January 30, 2005

I'm just a bill.....

I've been stewing on this, so pardon the rant...

This last weekend I went to a legislative training seminar. I thought I would learn valuable lessons about how to effectively lobby during the upcoming Reproductive Rights Lobby Day here in WA. I thought there would be frank discussions on the aggressive stance of the Anti Choice protesters and how to handle ourselves during our march. I thought we'd talk about which legislators to target & what to say to them. I thought we'd review the issues surrounding The Healthy Youth Act.

Instead, we partook in a civics class....for 2nd graders.

I understand that there are some people that don't know how laws get made...

But I did not expect it to be SO rudimentary. The ENTIRE two hours was spent on the law making process. No quick diagrams, no high school slide show(BEEP! Clack-ick), no handy leaflets...

They want us to go to Olympia to lobby. All of us have done this before. We are all very political. We are all educated and reasonably worldly. I might understand if this were training so that WE may teach new voters. I understand the need to be thorough, I do. It was all just so patronizing....to be treated as though we didn't already know. I'm just sayin'....

I mean, GEEZ, we've all seen School House Rock for fucksake!